Zagoria is a beautiful mountainous area in the Greek district of Epirus. It lies about 30 km. north of the town of Ioannina and includes 46 villages, of which 44 are inhabited.
The Zagoria Villages Of the 46 once prosperous villages of the Zagori (collectively known as the Zagorochoria), only the western ones escaped major damage in the wars of this century: firstly by the Turks in the Balkan War of 1912-I3 which resulted in Epiros becoming part of Greece, then again by Germans avenging partisan activity in World War II, and finally during the Communists’ last stand at the end of the bitter civil war which followed liberation. The Zagori is a high limestone region of wild and magnificent grandeur in the north Pindos range of the Epiros, its more remote areas still the haunt of nomadic shepherds, wolves, and bears. As its inaccessibility (roads are relatively recent arrivals) this was yet another area to which, faced by the hopelessness of policing it, the Turks pragmatically granted special privileges the better to concentrate on milking more fertile and tractable lowland communities.